Arsenal and the ref question

Our long standing French gaffer Arsene Wenger has been in the news of late over what he has consistently called farcical decisions even suggesting that because they happen so often they can't be coincidence.


The latest have been in the last two matches in which his side have been on the wrong end of the 'referee from the dark ages' as Wenger put it, Mike Dean and then  game later by Anthony Taylor in the crunch tie against Chelsea.

The less said about Dean the better. He has been referred to by many as an 'attention-seeking' twat (ok the twat is just me) and his record when taking charge with the Gunners involved is so scandalous it would Kim Jong-Un versus Donald Trump... in a teacup.

Then as for Anthony Taylor, less of a twat, but still mini one for his decision against Hector Bellerin against Chelsea which turned a great match into an argument. Well yeah, him.

Since that infamous Luis Medina Cantalejo incident of 2006 AD.

Who is Luis Medina Cantalejo I hear you ask. Well I am glad you asked because I will tell you.

Luis Medina Cantalejo is a man of Spanish origin, who on 26 June 2016, while officiating the most prestigious of our kickball tournaments otherwise known as the Fifa World Cup between Australia and Italy. With Italy down to 10 men and Australia on the up, an Azzuri  fellow called Fabio Grosso sauntered into the box a pace of knots then bundled himself over the air around Lucas Neill's body. Senor Median pointed to the spot and the Aussies were knocked out.



You would have thought Medina would be kicked out for the rest of the tournament but no. He was even the fourth official who saw Zinedine Zidane headbutt Marco Marterazzi. OK for that Zidane was an idiot.

The point of all of this I have had as much faith in referees since then as I do in Grace Mugabe presidency.

Back then I was an avid football fan. I would watch ridiculous matches, you know the kind where they were just there on DStv but you watched them because they were there.

Video Assisted Refereeing might help me to take interest more than the casual again but until refereeing improves you can't wonder if some the aberrations made are indeed mistakes.

Well they have to fix the petrol dollars situation as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arsene Wenger

Maybe Arsenal need to practice shooting

What we all really knew